Thursday, June 18, 2009

Spare [me] Change: Comments on God’s Constancy and Human Mutability

This era of my life seems to be marked by constant packing and unpacking. As a coworker mentioned at work today, change is the norm. Maybe this is why postmodernism is so popular with my generation. Change often seems the only common thread among us.

Constant change is something generally deemed good by our society: change means progress, and progress is good. However, constant change also has its drawbacks: you think you’re finally settled somewhere only to find out that it’s time to move again. Change is a constant upheaval and replanting of life, stuff, self, friends, etc. You’re roots begin to grow in some place or some status or some thing and then it’s gone.

However, God wants us to be “rooted and established” (Eph. 3:17) in Him and nothing else. Constant movingpackingunpackingmovingetc is a constant reminder that only God is immovable, only God is unchanging. Think about it: God is constant in constancy. Our norm is constant change—His norm is constant constancy. Perfection doesn’t need to change.

I can pretend to be settled in here in Fort Collins for the summer. My bags (my many, heavy, overpacked bags) are unpacked. My bed is made with my Ohio University blanket. Family and friends smile back at me from the pictures taped to my walls. But in no time, I will be packing it all up and moving on.

Yet somehow, when everything around me is changingmovingspinning… I can get settled in God’s house. I can let my roots grow deep without worries of being dug up and replanted. I can care less about being settled in this earth, settled in things of the flesh. I can focus on why I am here in the first place: to bring God glory.

How does this make God look glorious? Only an all-powerful God could take something so changing and unstable as this human life and give it firm roots, give it a firm foundation—unwavering faith in my assured salvation and eternal life bought by the blood of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

this is good stuff, audrey love :)