Sunday, July 27, 2008

Week Four Continued

So as I mentioned before, the madness climaxed on Thursday. Here are the highlights: We took the Expedition after lunch. On the Expedition, we take kids on a hike that explains each color of the gospel beads at a different station and at the end they make the bracelete. For those of you unfamiliar with the gospel colors they are: Yellow- because God created this world with light and love, and we are his unique creation. Blue- because of our sin and sadness. Red- Jesus's blood that was shed for our sins. Clear- because we are washed clean in Jesus and Green- which represents growing in our relationship with Jesus once we have accepted Jesus as our personal Savior. It's a really pretty trail that ends at an outdoor chapel. Well, halfway through the hike, one of my campers has to use the restroom- or as she put it "I GOTTA USE IT! I GOTTA USE IT BAAAD!" So we picked a shady area in the trees and she went out there.

After the expedition was pool time, followed by games in the lower fields. During pool time one of my momentum helpers informed me that there were two little girls fighting, and this time with cuss words and hitting. So I alerted a leadership staff member so she could help decide how to discipline. We got the two girls together and our plan was just to talk it out and give them a warning. However, they decided they did not want to talk it out and they starting fighting again, so they got put in lifejackets. The lifejacket is pretty much the ultimate punishment at camp. We have three basic rules: Don't fight, Don't cuss, and Don't disrespect. If they break them, they get a warning, then a lifejacket. Because those actions in life will bring them down and we are trying to save them. If they were drowning in a water, we'd throw them a lifejacket. Therefore, if they're about to drown in life, we do likewise. It's really just embarassing; it's basically a scarlet letter. Kids do have the choice not to wear it, but then they have to sit out by themselves and they can't participate in anything. Luckily, our girls did accept their punishment, which is one step. They got off lucky too because Thursday we had sponsors and potential sponsors coming so they got to take them off when the sponsors were there.

The sponsors was another reason why Thursday was hectic. There were so many people at camp! It's good though to see all those people willing to support us. It was also nice because Domainia (our nightime program with praise and worship and the gospel skit) was taken up a few notches. Our praise leader Darris had his band there, which was great, and they actually had lights when it got dark. Plus, Barry Baker, who works for CityCure presented the gospel message after the gospel skit, and I think a lot of kids really understood and accepted Jesus that night.

After Domainia is small group, where we discuss what went on in the gospel skit. The gospel skit is the prodigal son put into urban, current day form that the kids can relate to. It's really powerful, and I can explain more another time. Anyway, it's always hard to get the kids into small group, especially when they're young and tired. Paige, of course (she was in a lifejacket and had been causing problems all week), decided to literally run around the dining hall where we were having small group because she didn't want to go. So I sprinted after her until I caught her. Of course she wouldn't say anything, so leadership got involved and helped out.

Even though it was nearly 10:30 because we were running late, the night was not over! On the way to the bathroom to brush our teeth, one of my campers (the same little girl who had to go during the Expedition) peed herself. So I had a momentum take her to the showers to rinse off while I ran and got her new clothes from King's Kloset (and I was running because I didn't want the poor girl sitting there embarrassed for too long). I expressed my doubt about the momentums in the previous entry, but I have to say, when it came down to it and I really needed them- they stepped up to the plate. It was great. Anyway, then I ran back to the laundry room to wash the dirty clothes. It was a hectic night.

Finally the next day they left. And you'd think that after such a crazy week I'd be happy to see them go, but I was actually kind of sad. When the kids are misbehaving, it's easy to see them simply as little hellions out to ruin your day and make things harder for you. But when it comes down to it, they're still little girls who just need love. God's really been helping me see things from his point of view lately, and it's been good (see Matt. 16:23).

Another thing I've been learning is how much I can learn and grow here at camp from really becoming like a child (Matt 18:2-4). Everything during the week is kid-centered and it's all too easy to see myself as above that because I'm an adult. But everything from the songs to the skits to the kids themselves teach me things every week. Jesus had a reason for telling us to become like little children. What better way to do that then to hang out with them all summer!

Friday night we went to Chipotle, WalMart, and Starbucks again like last week. We're thinking about making it a tradition. I like that idea :)

Saturday we went to a Cincinnati Reds game! That was fun, even though I'm not really into baseball. I just like being around a lot of people, so it was a nice change from camp. It was nice to see Cincinnati a little more too since I have never really spent a lot of time here.

Today we went to Antioch church again. I really like it there. I forget if I mentioned this before, but Pastor Dave is doing a series on "People like Us with Problems like Ours." Today's sermon was on Caleb and how he served the Lord "wholeheartedly" in everything he did. The Hebrew word for "wholeheartedly" means that something was empty and now it is completely full of something else. Like a vase filled with water, Caleb was completely filled with God. Pastor Dave really challenged us to think about how we are living our lives compared to Caleb. It kind of going along with another thought that I've been considering lately. I love the song "Blessed Be Your Name." If you aren't familiar with it, download it or look up the lyrics. Well, I was singing that, and it hit me: I'm singing this song, but in the regular moments of my day, do I really bless His name in everything? That thought haunted me this past week and has been something that I'm working on.

Next week I'm in cabin 5, so they'll be significantly older than last week. There will be less kids, so God-willing it won't be as crazy as last week.

I'm working on getting pictures up from the past week. I took a lot, so it's going to take awhile, especially once I take more this week and have to upload those too!


In Christ,

Audrey

No comments: