Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week 6: Awesomeness

After such a weird week, week 6 turned out to be one of the best weeks I've had here so far. I was a little worried at first, because we didn't have many momentum helpers and the ones we did have had never done this before. I knew that there was going to be a lot of kids coming, so finding out that I would only have one momentum to help me out was a little scary. But of course, God blessed the week and while there were some times that having one momentum slowed us down, for the most part it went pretty smoothly.

I think I've mentioned before that each week kind of has a theme. Well, this week was community week. So our Bible study on Monday morning focused on what it means to be a community of believers and what the Biblke tells us the body of Christ looks like.

Monday afternoon we had some girl time, with snacks as usual, and we wrote everyone a note of encouragement. We did a similar thing when my Bible study at OU was ending. Here at camp, it was surprising how much we had learned about each other and how close we'd grown in only 5 or so weeks. To kick off community week we also watched

Tuesday I was very ready for the kids to come. I felt way more refreshed and rested than I did at the beginning of last week. It was raining, so we had to change the schedule a little, but I think it actually worked out better because we had more time with to get to know the campers and it wasn't as rushed as a normal Tuesday afternoon. One of my campers from the craziest week ever came back, which I was sooo happy about because I finally could get to know her better. And I'm glad I did. She is one of my favorite campers that I've had. She is so precious! Her name is Semira and she loves rocks. She collects them here at camp, but she told me at home she collects broken cell phones and acorns.

By Wednesday it had stopped raining. During workshops we got some extra time to chill, so that was extra-refreshing. After lunch we did the expedition, which I have already explained. It went pretty well, but someone had to pee in the middle of it again. We got her to go outside, but she ended up peeing on her clothes while going outside, so we still ahd to get those washed. Luckily she was in her bathing suit so she could just take them off right there.

Thursday, Antioch, the church we go to, came out to the family picnic and Domainia. I'm glad they got to see the camp and the children that they were supporting, but we had some random band play at Domainia instead of Darris and his crew, so they didn't get to experience a really good Domainia.

During the gospel skit (where we present the story of the prodigal son in a modern day setting), I was sitting with Semira and in the scene where Tiff (the character) gets shot she started crying and said "I don't like that part." Poor thing. She's only 8. I can separate myself from stuff like that because it doesn't happen around me, but for her it's all to real. My heart broke for her.

After the gospel skit, someone from CityCure/Whiz Kids presented the gospel. Most of my girls were falling asleep, but one girl started crying while she was saying the prayer to have Jesus come into her life. My co-counselor asked her why and she said that she was just so happy to be praying that. It was pretty awesome to see God working like that.

Friday we did our normal Chipotle routine and went frolicking again. We ran into our friend Kelsey from OU at Chipotle so they came frolicking as well. Saturday night was Darri's band's concert. Jalyssa (a friend from OU), Kelsey, Ty, Kelsey's friend and I all went out to dinner at Red Robin before the concert. It was way fun to hang out with some old friends from OU again. The concert of course rocked, and they were able to raise some money for KD as well. So that was cool.

Today church at Antioch was good. I'm sad that it's the last time I'll be there, but it was a good sermon. I like that Dave doesn't shy away from tough topics. Today we talked about how to stay pure in a sex-crazed world. He had some really awesome thoughts. After church we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. MMM. It was yummyyy.

Now I'm going to the lake that we went to a couple weekends ago. So I have to head out. Ending thoughts: This week really showed me how much joy God gives you when you are truly surrendering every situation and moment to Him! It was definitely a joy-filled week.

In Christ,

Audrey

No comments: